Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Epic...

So, I’ve been learning about STORY, and what makes a good one... Mainly, I’ve learned that a character must overcome conflict to achieve their goal. But what makes a great story even greater? What makes a story truly epic

A story truly becomes epic when the character – me … you – realizes…

1) the story is not about them, and cares more about the heart and purpose of the story versus themselves

2) an epic story is never “perfect” and never fully resolves or completes - in this life at least

3) invites others into their story – giving them an opportunity for a better story

I was born into an epic story of adventure, romance, danger, faithfulness, sorrow, and joy… God has placed me in a specific role that I am to play. However, only when I am available to be still, and listen well enough to hear the Author, will I ever be able to play my part well in this epic adventure of the Kingdom of God.

My focus for the next few years is to keep my ears and eyes wide open to the whisperings of God, so that I can live an epic story. Not for my glory or happiness… no not the pursuit of happiness. For the glory of the one who created the seas and stars and everyday surprises – for the glory of God.

To me, my story would be EPIC if I was completely engulfed in the love and rest of God – so open to hearing his voice that I would have no fear to step out and proclaim the gospel. I would be a missionary to all that I meet, and I would, hopefully, be overseas preaching the gospel through medical missions. And, when I feel I can no longer fulfill my Godly purpose without being in partnership with a Godly young man, I would marry a man who honors God, reflects the heart of Jesus, and is the spiritual leader of our family. In addition, I would plant trees – oaks of righteousness – my children – who would someday grow to spread their branches and bless others with the Fruit of the Spirit. 

That sounds like an epic adventure to me – even if it includes the “daily” or “mundane” tasks of diapers, dishes and dirty laundry – because I would be where God placed me in the Epic timeline of His-Story. 

For now, however, I am in the raging rollercoaster ride of Lifelong Learning – my epic adventure in college – where I not only learn about this world, but also about others, and most importantly I learn more everyday about my Author. That’s an Epic story worth living in. 

Are you living life like you are a vital role in an Epic adventure? Because you’re in one.

2 comments:

  1. This is lovely - it flowed so naturally and smoothly, yet I felt it was a satisfying end to your thoughts. I wish you well on your adventures, for I have no less enjoyment in my own. Shall I end this comment with a question?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good story, Hana, and a good start to your blog ... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete