Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dandelions...

Hope.

What a word. It evokes such joy, peace, content, warmth, security… strength. It’s Hope that gets me through every day. Not the worrisome “I hope, I hope, I hope I get a pony for Christmas!” type of hope, but a “Hope does not disappoint” kind of hope. I don’t even really know how to describe it, but I do know I can’t live without it.

I was talking with a friend last week and my heart broke in two when, in her frustration about her situation, blurted out… There's just NO hope. Okay?

I didn't really know what to say, honestly. All I could say was - There is always hope.

Last week, I was up in northern Indiana at a retreat with some of my college friends. It was perfect timing for a retreat, because I honestly felt like my life was falling apart, and I needed some restoration time desperately.

It was snowing just enough that we got to go sledding in these awesome inner tubes (they were AMAZING :) Unfortunately, one of my friend’s lost their necklace in the snow, so we roamed the snowy slopes for nearly half an hour, desperately trying to find the lost treasure. I walked in zig zags down the hill (I’m sure all of us meandering over the hill caused the neighbors to wonder if we were tipsy or something :) and stared at cold, white snow for a long time. Then something caught my eye buried under the snow…

a dandelion.

Of course, I’m not a personal fan of dandelions. They’re insidious little weeds that infiltrate lawns and make my nose itch. However, this particular dandelion worked its way into my heart. Staring at that bright golden beam shining through the snowy crystals, I heard God speak…

There is always hope. In the midst of the frozen wilderness. In the middle of chaos. In the times when you feel utterly lost. There is always hope.


Why do I know there is always hope? Because I know where hope comes from. It’s not from what people think of me. It’s not about my success. It’s not about worldly pleasure and happiness. It’s not anything this world provides.

Hope comes from Him. Christ is the hope set before us. The assurance that He has the victory in the end, and no man can separate us from the love of God.

It's humbling when an obnoxiously yellow weed puts life into perspective. But it did. 

Thanks, dandelion, for reminding that I don't have to live like I don't have hope. Because there is always hope.


Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, HOPE. 

AND HOPE DOES NOT DISAPPOINT! 
because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit.
(Romans 5:3-5)



1 comment:

  1. Oh, Hanabear, how did you know this is exactly what I needed to hear this morning? Love you so much and love your amazing way with words. :)

    ReplyDelete